THIS IS THE DEFAULT PAGE
A survey on occupational safety and health conditions in Metro Manila was conducted by the Occupational Safety and Health Center (OSHC) with the assistance from the Japan International Cooperation Agency. It covered 500 manufacturing establishments wherein 337 or 67.4\% are small scale; 115 or 23\% are medium scale and 48 or 9.6\% are large scale.
The objectives of the survey were to gather information and data on the prevailing safety conditions of workplaces and to assess the level of safety awareness of employers and workers. Results of the survey revealed the following:
- Safety and Health Management - 200 establishments (40\%) had written safety and health policy;
- Medical Examinations -292 (58.4\%) conduct pre-employment examination;
- Welfare Facilities - 146 establishments (29.2\%) have treatment rooms or clinics (68.4\%) have canteen or eating room and 187 or 38.4\% provide sports facilities. In 11 small scale companies, toilet facilities were not provided and 47 others, there is no portable water available for drinking;
- Safety Training / Education - 260 establishments train their newly hired employees on safety and health. Accident Record and Investigation System - 343 or 68.6\% keep records of occupational injuries. Only 23 out of 343 establishments or 4.6\% perform statistical analysis of accident / illness cases;
- Daily Inspection and Housekeeping Activities - only 152 or 30.4\% perform the toolbox meeting. In 384 companies only 234 or 60.9\% installed railing while 222 companies or 44.4\% provided safety signs;
- Fire Protection and Control - 273 companies or 54.6\% have fire protection program but only 225 or 45\% have fire brigade;
- Control and Measurement of Work Environment - 17 companies measure work environment monthly while 6 companies do so quarterly;
- Use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) - In 94 companies with noise hazard only 24 or 36.17\% provide earmuff or plug to workers. In 88 of the 159 establishments with air contaminants, respirators / dusts mask are used. In 164 establishments where there are flying scraps / object, 124 or 75.61\% make their workers use protective glass / spectacles. Helmet and safety shoes are used in only 75 companies.
© 2002 Occupational Safety and Health Center. All rights reserved.